14 Dec Are Chiropractors Just Back-Cracking Doctors?
Chiropractic medicine involves the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system of the body, and the effects of such conditions on the nervous system and overall health of the affected individual. The emphasis of this treatment includes joint, soft tissue, and spinal manipulation without making use of drugs such as narcotic medications like codeine and morphine, for example.
Conditions that have been researched to benefit from chiropractic medicine include:
- Neck and lower back pain – one study found that 96 percent of participants were either satisfied or very satisfied with the care they received and that 98 percent would try or were likely to try the therapy again.1
- Sciatic pain due to impingement of the nerve – chiropractic therapy has been shown to help patients with this issue. Findings were published where it was shown that chiropractic adjustments offered a 72 percent success rate in treating sciatica-related symptoms as opposed to 20 percent by other forms of treatment such as physical therapy.
- Tension headaches and migraines – chiropractic adjustments have been demonstrated to offer relief to patients with these headaches compared to other treatments without the risk of long-term drug use.
- Neurological conditions – some research shows that the manipulation by chiropractors increases blood circulation and the flow of cerebrospinal fluid around the brain and spinal cord and this may help to reduce the plaque formation on the white matter of the brain as seen in multiple sclerosis.
Sorrento Valley Pain Center incorporates the services of licensed chiropractors to help manage the pain of patients suffering from the above-mentioned pathologies. The aim here is to use more natural therapies so that these patients don’t have to rely too heavily on pain drugs such as narcotic medications that have the potential to result in addictive behaviors.
Sorrento Valley chiropractic services are not limited to just pain relief from musculoskeletal and nervous system conditions. Other conditions that can be managed by these healthcare professionals include:
- Respiratory issues such as asthma
- High blood pressure
- Ear infections in children
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Reducing anxiety by performing adjustments that activate the parasympathetic aspect of the autonomic nervous system
- Bell’s palsy
- Dizziness and vertigo
- Difficulties with sleeping which can be associated with not breathing properly at night, anxiety or pain.
Chiropractic medicine incorporates a holistic approach to the management of certain pathologies. The beliefs of the discipline are:
- When the body is placed into the correct position, this allows it to heal itself.
- Realigning the spine helps to reduce the pressure placed on nerves which can result in dysfunction of the nervous system.
Chiropractic adjustments are one the safest ways to manage patients with various conditions in a natural and holistic manner. It should also be mentioned that chiropractic therapy is identified as a conservative management measure to be attempted in patients before surgical intervention is considered in certain cases.
If a patient can be managed in a way that prevents them from having surgery performed, and it is beneficial for the affected individual, then this therapy should be attempted.